View Single Post
Old 10-20-2003, 05:07 PM   #31
bqueton
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
bqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I like the comments earlier in the post that refered to the asking the elders. This made me laugh cause when my brother and I took our drum to Tahlequah this past Labor Day Weekend, a younger singer that was singing with us told us not to rest our drum sticks leaning on the drum. He then tried to tell us all about what we already knew. Then one of the older singers (an old Kiowa man) jump him and asked him "Why?" The fight was on! We sat and listened to the two of them for half an hour, rolling and laughing. And yes the Old Kiowa had the last word sending the young kids head down in shame. Basically, what came of this was:

I treat my drum with the respects that my grandfather taught me. My drum does carry medicine. I don't drink around it. I don't leave it out in the rain. We say a prayer on it before we sing on it. I do eat around my drum from time to time cause I get hungry. But I do respect my drum. When someone elses drum is being used, I treat it with the respect that person uses. Some take it to an extreme, others don't treat it with enough respect in my opinion. I've sang with a few drum groups who always say "Rookie carries the drum". I was taught that it is an honor to carry that drum into the arena. I always carry my drum into the arena or let someone who I respect do it. When someone asks me to carry the drum, I am honored to do so. Some may do things differently in your part of NDN Country. But I know I'm right as this is what my grandfather taught me. And you are right doing what ever your grandfather taught you, even though we may do things differently.

Last edited by bqueton; 10-20-2003 at 05:22 PM..
bqueton is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook