Thread: Getting Started
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2003, 02:13 PM   #34
bqueton
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
bqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond reputebqueton has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I somewhat agree with you. On the tapes they only sing certain songs. Now when you go to a gourd dance somewheres other than Kiowa Country you here a lot of songs sung out of place, Family songs that were never put on the drum, the mustang songs at the start of the gourd dance, stuff like that. People don't know what they're singing. I was head singer a few weeks ago and sang charlie brown for a special (yes it was called for), everyone got mad and said now we cant gourd dance anymore, that was the quiting song. There aint no quiting song. And where did it start with this supper song. Someone told me i forgot to sing the supper song once. I was amazed. Someone told me I wasn't singing my own family song (Bointy) right once. He didnt' even know it was a family song. I have no problem with the gourd dance out there. I just wish the people who gave it out would actually teach the people what it is, where it came from, what it means, etc. If your gonna sing, learn the songs, the meanings, which ones are family songs, etc.

Basically, if your gonna do it, make sure you learn it. If your gonna take it out there, make sure you teach it. There is no other way of doing it. Its a Kiowa dance. Learn it that way or just don't do it!
bqueton is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook