View Single Post
Old 11-20-2003, 12:37 AM   #4
goose
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
goose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond reputegoose has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Yikes!

Don't be too harsh, now. LOL Here are my two cents:
I come from the tribe and the family of straight dance. My nephew was brought into the arena at Pawhuska, being a member of the Red Eagle family. The respect the Osage tribe bestows upon the history and the lineage of the straight dance is very traditional and very respectful.
So, just bear that in mind if you are going to wear "predominantly Osage regalia". If you are Comanche, then dress Comanche according to the family that dressed you. But never the two shall join, LOL.
I have Navajo friends and they are very proud of their tribal dress. They have thier own clans, etc. So, they aren't just totally "non traditional" in their clothes, dances, etc. The only thing is.....I don't see too many people picking up their style of clothes, or dancing their tribal dances, and making money at it.
Whereas, it is the other way around.
If you have been given the right to dance straight dance, and you dress Osage, then you should be able to go to any of the arbors and be welcomed into that sacred arena. They will know you by the designs you wear, what district (or arbor) you are from, and you will have a seat in their arena. Same with the Ponca Heluska.
Now, I understand that not everyone has been brought into this style of dance in this manner. But if you are going to wear their clothes, then evidently you received them from that district.
If not, then please don't encourage anyone else to follow your example. Just a my "old school" observations. May be outdated, but that's how I was raised. My dad danced straight dance for over 20 years at Ponca, Pawnee, Otoe. My nephew is Osage. We, in our area, have a great deal of respect for the Osage people.
goose is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook