View Single Post
Old 12-20-2003, 03:42 AM   #7
powwowbum49
Arena Director

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
powwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond reputepowwowbum49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Well, since I make them lets see how far I can get...LOL

Whome's ?'s

Region...I am glad you put it this way since I have never heard any scholar agree as to what 'tribe' roaches started with but most all agree that they originated in and around the Great Lakes and most feel it was prior to Euro colonization. Though the roaches worn from that time were no where near as big as they are today.

Allowed...this one is totally dependent on the tribe, society, etc., etc., and will have far too many answers for me to try and go into. It should be left up to folks that are from tribes that used roaches at that time since many tribes did not.

Made of...well in most cases a roach has at least a couple of rows in it. (except for manilla roaches which suck) the common things used to make roaches are Porcupine Guard hair, Turkey Beard, Horse hair, Deer tail hair, Skunk Tail Hair, Moose Mane Hair...bases can be made of yarn, cotton cable cord or tied rows of deer tail hair. I have heard of folks making roaches of fiber optic fibers but have never used it and have no clue how well it would turn out.

Feathers 1vs2...Now I have to admit that I have seldom seen Tradish dancers (since this is the tradish forum) wearing only one roach feather (though it is commonly seen among straight dancers). The only tradish dancers I have ever seen wearing only one feather were those that wear a small round roach. I do remember seeing a fella that had 4 feathers in the top of his roach (2 per socket)...never seen it before or since

Antenna...I have no clue on this one since I do not hail from the tribe much less region where grass dancing started and is still a society dance. I believe we had a thread about this in the Grass Dance forum a while back but not sure if there was much agreement on the subject.

Bulls tail drops...I do not know if there is society or tribal traditions behind the use of these. If what I do know is correct their use started with the Siouian tribes. I do remember seeing these worn in the hair all by themselves or in conjunction with feathers in historic paintings. Someone once told me they were called wapanaga (doubt that is spelled right and I am not sure I trust the source of this info to be right, so if anyone else can chime in on this I would appreciate being set straight)

Shaved feathers...I have seen this in other areas as well and by other tribes. Never been told of a tribal significance to the use of these, though I have been asked to make roaches like this before though.

Visor...I have no clue who started the use of the visors one see's today

eutrinka's ?'s

make or buy...As a roach maker I prefer to make and I often have people call me up asking me to finish or put together out right a roach 'kit' they have bought. I will say though it is very hard for the average person to get a hold of long guard hair in the quantities to make a 'big/long' roach. We roach makers go through many pounds of hair a year and we cull out the long hair and save it to use in rather high dollar super long haired roaches. I know WhoMe has one of these rare beasts.

porky-vs-horse...for gawd sake do not buy a horse hair roach. Porky hair is hollow and this is what allows it to stand up nice and tall, horse hair is not and it is very susceptible to humidity...it will sag and only works when kept fairly short. I would not even consider using horse hair in place of porky in any roach I sell.

Spreaders...All work well depending on the outfit it is worn with, but all should be made for the roach after it is put together. The name spreader is a misconception, since they do not actually spread the roach hair...it is merely there to help hold the roach to the head and provide a means to hold the feathers in an erect form in the roach. The way a roach opens up and lays is determined by the way the roach is made and what is wrapped on and not by the spreader. When an over sized spreader is shoved down into a roach it only causes premature wear on the hair in the roach and does more harm than good.

Well, at this point I relinquish the floor...next!!!

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." Pablo Picasso

"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift...that is why is it called the Present." Master Oogway - KungFu Panda

My comments are based on what I have been taught and my experiences over the years I have been around the circle. They should in no way be taken as gospel truths and are merely my opinions or attempts at passing on what I have learned while still learning more.
powwowbum49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook