View Single Post
Old 01-19-2004, 06:07 AM   #38
Wakalapi
www.wakalapi.com

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally posted by storm
I don't understand about "up North' I been dancing up north Like at Crow fair, Omaha, etc. for 30 years. There have always been white dancers. (even been to Canada)And what is this "right of passage" I'm just a ignorant man but I got my clothes put on me when I was little. Mom and dad called for our song and we danced. Then gave away afterward to thank everybody. Just like a 10000 other Indians. One of my grandpa's put my feather in my roach, walked me around the arena and prayed, just like a 10000 other indians. I know it is different other places but not that different. All this mumbo jumbo, earn your way stuff demeans the culture. It just a powwow,a social gathering; Not a war dance, or clan dance, funeral or anything "real" This is not the whole religion,There are ceremonies where these things apply; but there aren't any white people at those anyway. Is it so bad out there that indians are making Intertribal powows there whole "culture"? Last year a guy dropped a feather at a powow, they stopped the dance. My eldest Uncle, 78, got disgusted. His words "It's just powow, darn it, not irushka." What passes for serious these days has changed.
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

People who think a powwow is that serious are the ones who are into the romantic stereotypes, even if some of those people are US. If you don't like whites dancing next to you, then I guess you need to make sure you're a better dancer. I've seen some good dancers in the circle, and not all of them "looked" NDN (even though some who didn't look it, were). I've also seen NDN kids who want to pretend they are in inner-city black and asian gangs. I was giving a young drummer a ride home a couple months ago and he was bragging about being in the 12th Street Braves or some crap like that. Along the way he cracked open the window and threw all of his drive-thru garbage out onto the road. I should've made his young punk arse get out and sweep it back up. Yeah he was NDN. Respected life and mother Earth and all that. I'm glad there are so many young "adults" on this board who are better than the white people.