View Single Post
Old 01-21-2004, 11:59 AM   #16
Peacekeeper83
a Peace of.........

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Peacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond reputePeacekeeper83 has a reputation beyond repute
Location: just where the southern plains end...and the hill country begin...
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I think what stirbaby is saying...is that over the course of 500 years of dealing with the white culture...race mixing has occured alot...and in a sense he is saying...do you ignore those who are a result of it?...or bring them back into the fold...to stregthen the Bloodlines?
Lets be honest here....100 years ago to be considered Native is alot different than now...many people were born not of that particular tribe..some where born whiter..others black..others of other tribes...but yet they were considered of the tribe that they belonged to...here is an example...Navajos...would you consider anyone of the Mexican clan any less Navajo?or the Hopi clan..any less Navajo?yet the clans originated from the Mexican captives or the intermarrying with the Hopi people...now...they are clans of the Navajo and not a thought is given to their origins...how many other tribes can look at their own history..and see where a mixed blood or someone born of another race was taken in and accepted?Quannah Parker of the Comanches...Blue Jacket of the Shawnee..Sequoyah of the Cherokee....the list goes on and on...
We have allowed the governments method of "breeding us out" to dictate who we have become...all to often I have heard...if you are not 4/4 of a particular tribe...you are not Native...but again...there are those who are 4/4 Native blood..but can't be legally considered a Native..because of the quantity of Native blood to any one tribe..
Yes I am a mix blood..1/4 Iroquois..Mohawk..my children are 1/2 Navajo...soon I will expect my first grandchild...3/4 Navajo...1/8 Iroquois...throw in some Irish to boot...funny...We are the only People who have to be specific about how much blood we carry...when was the last time someone told you they were 7/16ths Irish...and had it documented?or African American?..if someone told you they were Black...would you doubt them because they were a little light skinned?..
There are alot of people out there who are Native..results of mixed marriages..who are told they are not Native by the government...and enforced by the attitudes by some of Our own people? Alot of tribes are realizing that now...how many tribes are dropping the Quantum requirements to save themselves from a possible extinction?There are tribes who are huge who never think about this...i.e. Navajo..the Sioux Nations...ect...but one day...maybe they will...then what?