View Single Post
Old 01-24-2004, 07:33 PM   #14
SmokeEater
Insert Image Here

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
SmokeEater has a reputation beyond repute
SmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond reputeSmokeEater has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally posted by One who seeks

In my opinion, deaf people posses their own language and culture. Unless a person takes the time to really get to know someone who cannot hear, that person can't really understand the world of the deaf.

Exactly. One thing I found totally unusual, was that Deaf do not wish to be "Hearing" or "Speaking", nor do they wish for pity to be taken upon them. Deaf are satisfied with being deaf. They are very social, and deaf know each other. When we would have parties and stuff, I would be amazed as to the number of deaf that would show up. So word would get out.

I was suprised as to the number of deaf who could talk, and carry on a "normal" conversation, and sound like any other person who could hear and talk. Usually these are older folks who are adept at lip reading, and have had speech therapy of some sort. Remember not all Deaf are mutes too...

Also not all deaf can automatically lip read either. They have to learn to lip read, the same as they have to learn to read and write English. So don't try to embarass yourself by talking slow because you will look like a [email protected]$$. Either learn the alphabet and fingerspell, take a course in ASL, or grab a pen and pad and write everything down...