View Single Post
Old 01-25-2004, 05:26 PM   #34
Kakeeya
PowWows.com Addicts

Items Panda
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Kakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond reputeKakeeya has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally posted by Direct_Effect
If that's the case then it's up to us to see that it doesn't happen.

To me, speaking the language and keeping our language is important. Teaching it to my kids is even more important as well.

Losing our status as a tribe or as native peoples is something we should all consider in the future ahead. I know I sound preachy, but if ignorant statements like "it doesn't matter" is said, then I'm definitely going to try my hardest to see that we do strive to maintain our cultural identity.

I will not blend in with the whites, and I will go down preventing that it doesn't happen.
Good words Direct E and I agree with you. I am a full blood native (although mixed with another tribe). I have always believed in keeping our culture strong and always worked in professions where cultural knowledge is a prerequisite. I had one son and raised him in our traditional ways, he learned both his fathers Lakota ways and my tribal ways. When he grew into a young man, he was involved with a lady of another race. When he told me about her, I had a heart to heart talk with him and told him that it's okay to date this woman but when it comes to marrying and having children he should look for a Native woman. I explained to him that I see how hard the mixed Natives of other races have it and I told him that I wouldn't want that for any of my grandchildren. He was upset with me but he listened. Eventually he calls me and tells me that he met a Native woman. Now I have a beautiful full blood granddaughter, she's mixed with a couple of other tribes but thats okay. I don't know what our future holds for us but as long as I am alive, I will continue to strive to keep our Native blood and culture strong and alive, at least within my own family.
Kakeeya is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook