View Single Post
Old 02-15-2004, 01:11 AM   #80
Privateer6
Like my new toy?

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Privateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond reputePrivateer6 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Adoption, the south, et al

Crazydazy,
Yeah I know about the adoption thread. reading it myself. The people I know have made real contributions i.e doing reasearch on history and crafts for a non-federally recognized nation, another does tremendous work on crafts and preservation of traditions, a third is a noted writer and dancer.

I personally believe that if you really do alot of work for a nation to help them out and they decide to adopt you, that's great. If you need to pay money, or some other kind if BS like that, then hell no "adoption" aint right. THESE ARE MY OPINIONS 'CAUSE IAM NO EXPERT! Let those who have grown up in the culture talk more about it.

Like I said, in the south alot of racism took place. The Houma for example were denied an education for the longest time and are now fighting for their recognition status. Their numbers are increasing, not because alot of wannabees are coming otu the woodwork, but becasue alot of families that could pass for white did so to survive. I am a good example. Somewhere down the road I have some native blood. but because of the bigotry, even in my own family, that aspect of my heritage was discouraged.

Now why am I saying all this? At least in my former neck of hte woods, there is alot more tolerance, in my experience, of non natives dancing and joining societies. It's very possible that the Tiah Piah ( sorry if I am misspelling) would have inducted a few non natives.

Now I have a few questions for you Crazydazy and no disrespect is intened.
Also anyone else can feel fre to answer.

1. Hold old was your son when he started dancing? The reason I ask is that I have a 5 month old and I want him to know his full heritage and join the circle.

2. How did he come out? I ask becasue I don't think I came out the proper way and again I want to do things right for my son ( or at least get an Idea of what to expect, I know every area is different). The way I came out was I was volunteering at a powwow and made a comment about dancing. A Houma elder invited me in and taught me for a little while before I moved with a job.

Anyway I type to much. I thank everyone in advance for hte answers to my questions.
Jerry