View Single Post
Old 08-19-2001, 10:52 PM   #4
1dancing white wolf
Junior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
1dancing white wolf is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I just want to add my 2 cents worth here. I had 2 new dresses made for this year and both of them are very simple southern buckskins. The yokes are beaded with my own personal design-one rosette in the center and two on the sides a little smaller than the center one. Extra long fringe on the sleeves/cape. I have done away with the glittery stuff for a simpler look. This weekend I didn't wear a belt, and found that I liked that look (not to mention the comfort level)better. I have modified my dance style a little also to fit the new longer fringe-more swing and sway as opposed to the old regalia which did not have the extra long fringe. Overall I like the new look and style better than my old one. I recieved many compliments not only on my dresses but on the dancing as well. I do not contest, so I cannot comment on that aspect. However, I did see a lot of large applique pieces this weekend, so I can agree that this may be a new fashion trend as well. I am also carrying a new fan that is smaller than my old crow wing fan and I noticed that many of the women this weekend were using the much larger wing fans-goose, swan, turkey. This could be owing to the heat though.
While we are on this subject, I'd like to comment on something else I noticed this weekend-one of my new dresses is light cream color, but I saw a lot of women(granted I had never seen any of these people before in my area) wearing black buckskin. I found it kinda vulgar. Even the best made dress is sort of ruined when it is black. Doesn't seem very traditional to me. Anyone else seeing this, or is it just here in VA?