View Single Post
Old 04-11-2004, 10:27 PM   #24
travelingmocs
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
travelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
travelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond reputetravelingmocs has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
This has been a really great discussion, and I thank everyone for being civial. Now I want to throw in my two cents. I think that many tribes like Kiowas, Comaches and so on, like the brush dance, had the gourd and was part of the different tribes sun-dance. I have also read about different "gourd" societys among the Kiowa, and the Tom-pe-go(Spelling) most stands out in memory.
But the key thing to remember is the Kiowas were the people who brought back the songs and made gourd dancing what it is today. Just my thoughts. Whome, you mentioned the Ponca tribe, I am not really sure if it was a part of there history or sun-dance. But I do know that some Kiowas came to White Eagle in the late sixties or early seventys from what I have read and brought the gourd dance to the Ponca. But that was also the main time period when gourd dancing was spreading like wild fire across Oklahoma. Poncas like other tribes made some gourd songs, I think Harry Buffalohead made a few too. No body really sings them anymore.
Well, hope that helps. I by no means am a expert and I thank all the other people for there great input. And Happy Easter to everyone....
TMS