View Single Post
Old 04-12-2004, 11:54 AM   #26
WhoMe
PauWau Coordinator

Items Devil
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
WhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond reputeWhoMe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingmocs
Whome, you mentioned the Ponca tribe, I am not really sure if it was a part of there history or sun-dance. But I do know that some Kiowas came to White Eagle in the late sixties or early seventys from what I have read and brought the gourd dance to the Ponca. But that was also the main time period when gourd dancing was spreading like wild fire across Oklahoma. Poncas like other tribes made some gourd songs, I think Harry Buffalohead made a few too. No body really sings them anymore. TMS
___

travelingM:

The Poncas had a society, ceremonies and songs that support their traditional claims to the gourd dance. Unfortunately like the sundance, they are no longer practiced. A member on pws.com, PM'ed me to share that he knows about this gourd dance connection to the Ponca people and gave the name of this former ceremony.

I have never heard or read where the Kiowas travelled to White Eagle to give the gourd dance to the Ponca's. From what you read, were any Kiowa names mentioned?

I am aware that Ponca singers have composed gourd dance songs and they are sung both at the Ponca Powwow afternoon gourd dance and during their week of Winter Holiday Dances.

In an ironic twist, it has been rumored that the afternoon gourd dance at Ponca Powwow is a "closed drum, open only to Ponca Singers." True?
WhoMe is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook