View Single Post
Old 05-03-2004, 08:10 PM   #65
Mr Bo Jangles
Member since March 2000.

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Mr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Talking

....actually, I think the whole discussion of Blood Quantum in the Navajo Tribe was just "tabled" for review by some committee.

It's a messy, sordid topic, but, just so folks know where I stand on the subject. I say leave it at 1/4 th and wait until we're so strapped for blood, THEN lower it!! Heck, the vast majority of the Navajo Nation is all full blood, with a smattering of quarters and less here and there.

I do think it was a bit off to bring up the subject in the Council....I don't think it had any real bearing on anything relevant to the Navajo Nation at this time. Perhaps, say, in one hundred years or less, it might become a topic of great importance, but, I don't think it should be left up to the Council to decide something like that. I say let the people vote on it and let the vote stand.

Then again........that could drum up problems.....think back to the whole thing on gambling (which i was all for, and voted for accordingly).....it got messy, split families, communities. The blood quantum thing will do the same or worse.

But, the council is saddled with a tough decision, as are the Navajo people if this ever comes to a vote......you've got to think ahead....generations from now, your grandkids or great grandkids. Where are they going to be in a lifetime from now after we're all gone? Will the dominance of the full bloods still be present or have such a commanding presence as it does today? ...with the advance of the dominant culture over our own, and with the constant influx of ideas and other cultures from other parts of the World or from other regions of the country or state......'non-natives'. You get alot more half and quarter and one eighth and one sixteenth's popping up. Do we want to deny them the privelages, however few and feeble they are, that we enjoy or benefit from? Land and Tribal Resources come into play....heck, it's bad enough as it is dividing up a 180 acre allotment in my family as it is!! Heck, you're lucky if you come out with half an acre!!! My own family is experiencing the whole interacial issue now.....we've got kids or neices/nephews that are half Navajo and half something else.

Heck, if you drive around the rez today....sure, you see the tons and tons of Navajo's around........but, you're also seeing ALOT more African-Americans and Hispanics/Mexicans coming up from Phoenix and from other parts of the Country. I for one don't approve of it.......of course, that just my "ethno-centric" azz talkin smack. We're all for racial purity......irregardless of who we are or what we say, or no matter how hard we try to deny it. At some point....you want to try to maintain something of a culture, or at least a race of people that "look" the part.

...so, think hard about it before you vote......if it ever comes to a vote my fellow Navajos!!
aye!!

.....I think Gallup, Page, Farmington, Flagstaff, Winslow and Holbrook would just LOVE to see a boom on the Tribal Roster if the blood quantum was lowered to one eighth!!!

....WOO HOO!!! I got some more bad rep from someone too!!!

...thanks!!! It means I'm reaching people!!!

ayyyyye!!!
Mr Bo Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook