View Single Post
Old 05-04-2004, 02:05 PM   #17
CandaePrincess
that's not my name

Items PresentPresent
User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
CandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond reputeCandaePrincess has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I feel I've been lucky to be brought up in both cultures. I go to Indian Methodist Church...but I also participate in NAC as well as ceremony. So I have been raised up good I feel.
I guess the main concern are the ones who are raised in their tradition....but end up turning away from it. Be it embarassment, shame, or helplessness from different family situations. IE: Being raised up with culture but being raised by alcoholic parents. If the child is ashamed of their heritage or even angry at their parents and blame it on their ethnicity.......what do we do to show them that even though bad things may have happened....they are still native and should never be ashamed by it? I'm always working with children and would like to hear what others would say if a teen said something of the liking: "Native traditions are stupid and untrue, people make fun of it so why should I be a part of it??" or "My parents were into their culture but they also drank night and day and were never real parents so why should I want to be native...that's not how I want to live." How would you handle a situation like that???

:dontknow:

Mussy by birth.....Native by the Grace of God.......

CandaePrincess is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook