View Single Post
Old 05-25-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
Zotigh
USMC

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Zotigh has a reputation beyond repute
Zotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond reputeZotigh has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by powwowbum49
..the logistics of moving the head singer and his boys out of the center for gourd and then back for intertribals is probably a factor as well.
That is probably the reason for it.

Quote:
..most of the dancers have never been to Kiowa country and were pretty lost and even commented that it just felt awkward to them that the drum was not in the middle.
I can empathize. It's kinda awkward having the drum in the middle for some of us.

Quote:
Do you think the fact that at the Kiowa ceremonials the drum being on the side has anything to do with the fact that the Kiowa started out up north and moved south? Is this tradition a remnant of the Kiowa's northern roots?
Sounds interesting. I'm not a historian. The Kiowas come from up north. Yes. Does that affect the placement of the drum. I don't know. There are some good historians on these boards, though. I hope one will be able to answer that question. I'd like to know, too.

Quote:
Next...Would you really want to see all the powwow gourd dances doing things exactly as the Kiowa do, since the meaning for many in attendance is not the same as it is to the Kiowa?
hmmm...the gourd dance is Kiowa. Do I want the Kiowa gourd dance to be done exactly like the Kiowa gourd dance? hehe

I know that some folks believe that the gourd dance is theirs. I cannot travel back in time to prove whether it is or it is not. I can only believe what my ancestors told me, that it is Kiowa, and respect the thoughts of others that feel it is theirs also. But, for those that are knowingly dancing the Kiowa gourd dance, yes...it'd be good if the dance were kept faithfully.

If my great-grandparents were alive today and attended a gourd session, would they recognize it? How many small changes accumulating over time before what we call a 'gourd dance' no longer shares enough similarities with the original so as to have its strongest connection be simply the name?

I'd still like to attend a gourd session at some dance where the drum was not in the middle.
Kiowa Tiah Piah
Kiowa Marine Veterans
American Indian Veterans

Last edited by Zotigh; 05-25-2004 at 12:11 PM..
Zotigh is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook