Old 05-31-2004, 03:02 PM   #17
FancyFemale49
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
FancyFemale49 is on a distinguished road
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
wmn singers

in manitoba there are alot of women drum groups coming out. and lately i been asking myself should women sing at the drum but i guess where it has found me contemplating is as well considering the fact that it wasnt too long ago that wmn dancers were not allowed in the powwow circle.

i was watching an interview (i think it was on the powwow trail) they interviewed a lady from the crow reservation. and she said when she started around the 1940s shawlin, that was not accepted. she specifically said that different items like rocks and shoes were thrown at them when they first started dancing.

So historically speaking, the participation of women in powwows has come a long but in my perspective has a long ways to go. like what the powwows original purpose? what did our ancestors really anticipate with this gathering? and whos really to say who can or cannot dance or sing? i guess these are the fundamental questions that we must ask ourselves...personally i believe every tribe has their own unique ways of doing things and whos the say what is right and what is wrong?
FancyFemale49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook