View Single Post
Old 06-30-2004, 10:54 PM   #3
Plenty Fox
meeeeeeeeeeee

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Plenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond reputePlenty Fox has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
There are traditional pow-wows and contests pow-wows. If the pow-wow is a contest pow-wow then I wouldn't be critical or judge a dancer harshly if they only participated in grand entry, their category and a few intertribals. I mean, if they are a serious contender--basically pro or semi-pro relying on their talent dancing to pay the bills--they need to save their energies and avoid injury by choosing when and if to dance at other times. It would be foolish of them to be out there, sprain a knee and then lose their livelihood.

Do I think it is wise to make 'pow-wow' your career and sole means of support? No, but there are still a select few, the creme de la creme, that have the talent to make a pretty good go of it. These are mostly guys who started contesting as boys and have continued to do so, are known for their style, talent and have a great reputation on the pow-wow trail. Most dancers, however, do not honestly have what it takes to do that. They might think they do, but the proof is in whether their families are clothed and fed adequately, etc.

So, I would ask you, how they are 'disrespecting' anyone, these contest dancers, by not dancing each and every dance. They do dance their hardest, because at a contest pow-wow that is what they do--compete. And, they've made alot of sacrifices along the way. People are jealous of them, many times there families don't stay together because the only thing they know how to do and do good--is dance--and dancing takes them on the road most of the year. A contest dancer, a dancer who relies on his/her winnings to pay the bills has to travel to wherever the best pow-wows are. They often have to start on Thursday so they can be at grand entry Friday night. They are pooped Monday morning from dancing all weekend and maybe they hit the road Monday or perhaps Tuesday to either go home or move on to the next place. How many folks holding down a 9 to 5, Monday thru Friday job can do that and keep their job?

Again, they do dance their hardest, when they do dance. Which is why when they get older their backs, knees and hips are a mess; so their health isn't as great as it could be. And, since they don't have jobs with medical benefits they may rely solely on IHS for medical care--need I say more?

So, I would say that for those people who for some reason get a hair up their a** about contest dancers not dancing every possible dance; that they stick to traditional pow-wows where it is unlikely you'll see to many of these dancers who seem to offend without meaning to.

The Creator said, "A foreign race of white people will come, who will become your friends. You should treat them well."

The Creator sure had a strange sense of humor!

Plenty Fox is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook