View Single Post
Old 07-01-2004, 02:01 AM   #12
Mato Winyan
Lovin' life,

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Mato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond reputeMato Winyan has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washakie Witch
If we are going to criticize behavior in the arbor my gripe would have to be going out to dance in an inter-tribal and having to avoid all the folks just standing around talking or just walking--not dancing. Not everyone has regalia, not everyone dances contest, and when I do get up to dance intertribals I like to be able to dance, not stop and start, stop and start. I do dance from the heart when I dance but there are plenty of people who get out there and don't do anything but stand out there or walk around talking to their gal pals so that folks can see them and be noticed.
I agree! I hate that!

Quote:
The spectators you pow-wow committee folks like to bring in because of revenue, they get the show they come for. They see the Spikes during the Fancy Dance and the Paskemin's during Grass. I don't think they are keeping score of whether these guys dance full throttle during an inter-tribal or not. Just seeing them is a thrill.
Couple of things here.. They don't always get the show they come for. Not all powwows have the people you mention. And not all spectators come for the NAMES.. hell some just want to see pretty feathers fly all weekend. I've seen the powwows where during the inter tribals the only ones dancing were the ones not competeing. Not just one song .. but most of them. No one is expected to dance "full throttle" every dance. Just be there and put some effort into it.;)
And to be crude.. that is what they are getting paid for. That is what makes the best of the best.

And to look at the other side.. the committee should not treat the dancers and singers as a commodity. They should be respectful of them and have the payouts over and done with so people can be on their way at a reasonable hour. Hell I've been to powwows where we didn't get out until 5am because drums get paid last. That was ridiculous!!

There are alot of things that could be changed on both sides. And having good dialog is the beginning of that change hopefully.