View Single Post
Old 07-26-2004, 11:20 AM   #12
Mr Bo Jangles
Member since March 2000.

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Mr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bo Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by navajojohn
you know an uncle of mine in an interview before goin to this past years new years celebration in gallup stated

if the people want the singin we are bringin it and we are goin to sock it to them. and sure enough there were only two navajos at the drum, where were the rest.

and they call them selves singers, during gourd dance but when it was grand entry time boy were the southern singers out
We didn't want to show up the Okies?

GAAAAAAAAAAH!!

aye..jokin, jokin.

Naw, I think most singers that we're out there.....and I only saw ONE that stuck around after Gourd....Paul Stewart. YES, he's Navajo......a CRIT Navajo, but, a Navajo just the same. Course, he's all rugged and would flat out disown his Navajo if he could..........fact remains, he's Navajo.

I personally saw no point in going out there. The committee wanted to have GOOD SINGING.......not some local riff raff. So, they hauled out the best their money could buy. I saw no point in moving in and trying to squeeze in. THe drum group there was brought in to sing...based on their ability and notariety. It's their time to shine....let em have the floor. That's how I saw it.

...besides, I mean......c'mon.....we're talking about Cozad here!!

Which would YOU rather listen to? Some locals or Cozad? .....it's not even a close call on that one. Cozad!!!!!!!

Quite frankly, to address you're question of Northerns or Southern taking over "our" powwows? .....what powwows? Last time I checked......powwow wasn't exactly a Southwest Skindian thing! If you want to take over.....fine...come on out and take over, it would be an improvement on the singing and you'd probably stand to make a bit of pocket change.

The only patches I recall seeing on gourd dancers out here, are the military service emblems on their blankets.....unless you're referring to the whole Black Creek Gourd "Society" phenominon.

.....actually, I'd like a bit of a better understanding of what's going on with that myself!!

...I do agree though. There's ENTIRELY TOO MUCH smugging and fanning and doing all sorts of wierd crap out here. It's funny sometimes to watch....and sometimes it's just plain idiotic!!!

....so, in that regard, I'd say YES. Someone DOES need to come out here and reign in all this BS and put it to a stop. There's too much of that goin on.

"When the God's wish to punish us, they grant our prayers."

O. Wilde
Mr Bo Jangles is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook