Old 08-03-2004, 11:10 PM   #31
redberi
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
redberi is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
gourd dance

All the Kiowa elders and most of the Kiowas know how our Kiowa gourd dance, Tiahpahgah, derived. Other people from other tribes speculate and come to their conclusions but face it it's an original Kiowa dance.

You hear those songs and you get moved and you know why? Those are our prayer songs from different families and those songs have words. Most families know which is their family song and like my family has a chief song that we recognize. We also have our other family songs on my mother's side.

Any other tribe giving our dance and songs away is wrong. It's not theirs to give away and we never gave our dance but to only a couple of Oklahoma tribes to use. One is the Otoe-Missouri tribe.

About the Arikara in ancient dress dancing gourd dance, well research more and read up on your history. The Kiowa traded with sedentary tribes that grew crops.

Those gourd dance groups way out in left field are made up - copying us, sad to say. I guess they do not know their own cultural dances or songs and they are not Plains people.
redberi is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook