GrayDog
GrayDog

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
GrayDog is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEROSAGE
I know that the Quapaw Intertribal Gourd Dance Society sent a delegation to Carnegie, OK to meet with Kiowa Society leaders. This took place in the mid 80's. Grandad, Jack Greenback, was our Elder. (He has since passed). Our society was given permission to organize as a society. (This is a VERY simplified version). Many of our original members have passed.

Say"Hey!".......I'm trying to find out some more good info on just who is authorized or allowed to gourd dance. I'm here in N. California and every Pow Wow starts out with Gourd. I see several variations and there is seldom agreement on who's doing it right. There are also several societies who claim the right to dance. The most legitimate one seems to be the "Black Wolf Society". I am Cherokee and gourd dance and am always respectful of the dance and it's importance. I dress my best and research as much as I can so as to be as correct as I can and honor those who originated it (Kiowa/Cheyanne). I spoke to Principle Chief "Chad" Smith of the Oklahoma Cherokee and he said that although Gourd isn't a traditional Cherokee dance that it was ok to do as long as it was done honorably. I'd appreciate any info out ther. Thanks...wado.
GrayDog is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook