Thread: Societies
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2004, 08:40 AM   #18
Kio-Manche
a.k.a Numunu1971

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Kio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond reputeKio-Manche has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Interesting......

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayDog
ok..ok...I would like some feed back on this question if all you good NDNs would so kindly do. Where (what position) do you begin dancing from. Here in N. Cal. chairs are normally set up on the west end of the arena,in front of the mc's table. The gourd dancers sit during the first song...shaking their rattle. The second song they stand and some dance a little dance in place. Third song the dancers spread out with at least one dancer in each of the 4 directional corners (n,e,w,and south). I have seen dancers "dance" toward the center after the drum does a hard "honor" stroke or series of hard hits. They keep moving closer toward the center until the song ends and then they (dancers) back up to the outside of the arena and begin again. Buffalo dance! Seldom do they do them out here and never have I heard a "Wolf" howl at the end of a song.
Give me knowledge....enlighten me....Wado
Also........is it appropriate to wear military insigna and awards on your war blanket? What about ndn patches..items.ie.; medicine wheels,feathers,pins, etc? Thanks...Wado
Graydog,
I enjoyed reading your post.... seeing how its done elsewhere. I live in N. Oklahoma, grew up in S. Oklahoma, and we do it a bit different here. We generally have benches around the arena where we sit, and we pretty much sit where ever we want. (If one side of the arena happens to have shade, we tend to conglomerate). At many powwows, the drum may be at the side of the arena, so we just move around wherever the spirit moves us too. (Drum stalkers tend to look confused at this) Here, we stay seated during the first song until the drum "steps on it". Then we generally wait for the headsman to start dancing, and if there is no headsman, we start dancing simply when we're ready. I know nothing of the four directional corners, but there is a store on Hwy. 177 that we all call four corners. j/k.
The Buffalo dance is done here usually as the final dance at some powwows. And here in Oklahoma, esp. Carnegie, you will here the wolf howls, and I think that is because this is the birthplace of the gourd dance, and many here understand and know history and the ettiquette of gourd dance, as well as the songs. We have some excellent drums here in Oklahoma, and alot of informed people.
Numunu1971