Old 10-05-2004, 02:52 PM   #21
GrayDog
GrayDog

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
GrayDog is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Thumbs up

Thank you for your reply. It is refreshing to get an honest answer without first being accused of "stealing" this or that and not being interested in ones own heritage.Gourd dancing is very special and honorable and I admire and respect the Kiowa, and all others who are dancing with a good heart and intentions. I ask these questions inorder to not offend anyone by my ignorance. Intertribal here in N. Cal. is a fact, a reality, and isn't going to go away. So I am trying to learn the correct way to do things. Thanks again for clearing up some questions I had...what a beautiful baby! Way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numunu1971
Graydog,
I enjoyed reading your post.... seeing how its done elsewhere. I live in N. Oklahoma, grew up in S. Oklahoma, and we do it a bit different here. We generally have benches around the arena where we sit, and we pretty much sit where ever we want. (If one side of the arena happens to have shade, we tend to conglomerate). At many powwows, the drum may be at the side of the arena, so we just move around wherever the spirit moves us too. (Drum stalkers tend to look confused at this) Here, we stay seated during the first song until the drum "steps on it". Then we generally wait for the headsman to start dancing, and if there is no headsman, we start dancing simply when we're ready. I know nothing of the four directional corners, but there is a store on Hwy. 177 that we all call four corners. j/k.
The Buffalo dance is done here usually as the final dance at some powwows. And here in Oklahoma, esp. Carnegie, you will here the wolf howls, and I think that is because this is the birthplace of the gourd dance, and many here understand and know history and the ettiquette of gourd dance, as well as the songs. We have some excellent drums here in Oklahoma, and alot of informed people.
Numunu1971
GrayDog is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook