View Single Post
Old 10-12-2004, 11:55 AM   #9
sookout sh'nob
Boogie Monster

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
sookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond reputesookout sh'nob has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Heh, qauntum number san get rediculous fast. My family has been intermarrying with trappers and taders for a long, long time. My daughter is about 3/4, but her quantum is measured in 512ths (which puts me in the 256ths) and my grandchildren will be in the 1024ths!

Then there is the missuz, who is rated at 100%, but it is also well known that her family is at least a little bit French - It's said her grandafather was chief when they were coming up with quantum numbers back in the day. Still, this is just as accurate as the actual official government methods of determining blood qauntum. The govts. determined it according to two common tests, the scratch test and the phrenological test. Withe the scratch test, they would scratch you arm and look to see what color the skin turned where it was scratched. This color was matched to a color chart that related color to blood qauntum. For the other test, the number and location of bumps and dips on your head were recorded and then compared to another chart to determine how evolved you were and thus, how much native blood you had.

So pretty much, the whole blood quantum deal is an arbitrary (at best) process. At worst, it is a function of statistical genocide - which is easy preventable by marrying other Indians of the same band as you. Remember folks - most bands in the United States do not recognize the blood of other bandss, even if it is from within the same tribe (example: red lake ojibwe doesn't recognize leech lake ojibwe for purposes of enrollment). I hear LCO is now counting the blood of other Ojibwe bands for the purpose of enrollment - good for them! I hope more folks follow their excellent lead.

One last thing, most tribes have not created their own enrollment standards, they are still using enrollment guidelines put into place by the U.S. government back when the Indian Organization act was exercised. Here in MN, the tribal constitutions (and govts.) were all based on the charter at the U of MN - and anyone who's gone to school there knows how jacked up that place is (heheheh).

Anywho, just ramblin on now.

Mii awe
sookout sh'nob is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook