View Single Post
Old 10-12-2004, 07:16 PM   #16
nativemom
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
nativemom has a reputation beyond repute
nativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond reputenativemom has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
This issue really hits home with me. I am married to a man who is not the same tribe as me...he is Meskwaki. His mother is a full blood who is enrolled and his father is not. He can't be enrolled with the Meskwakis because only the men can enroll their children. So, my husband is 1/2 Meskwaki and has the papers to prove it, but not enrolled anywhere. My children are 6 tribes (my mom and dad are different tribes), they are 3/4 Indian and for the longest time they were not enrolled anywhere because the only tribe that they are at least 1/4 of is Meskwaki. Thank god Three Affiliated Tribes accepts all of your Indian blood. My babies are officially Indian now......well at least according to the government.

Personally, I feel that tribes should recognize all of your native blood. There is so much we are losing. People say to marry your own tribe...what if you have a big family? I wasn't about to marry/have children with relations just so my children could be enrolled.

NEWAYZ...dang rambling. Blood quantum DEFINITELY does not measure how native you are. It is in your heart, your beliefs....so much more. It is sad that we let the government tell us if we are native or not.

Last edited by nativemom; 10-12-2004 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: changed a few words
nativemom is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook