View Single Post
Old 10-21-2004, 06:45 PM   #14
AngelFeather
Cloud Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
AngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond reputeAngelFeather has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Sadness plaugues our people

Quote:
Originally Posted by badmaninc
I don't know where you got the stats but what you can also include for Canadian Indians: we make up 3% of the population but we average around 16-18% of the total incarceration rate. We serve longer sentences, stay in higher security longer, get sent back to prison sooner for technical reasons. There is more but it gets really depressing after that. The reason I know is that, as some may know I am a parole officer. I went to a reserve today and was told by the Chief and Council that their youth start drinking and experimenting with drugs and sex as early as 9 years old. This is "consensual sex" between children the same age. Sexual assault is a different story. This same Chief and Council told me that they have approximately 60 children under the age of 16 in their community of 100 full-time residents and there isn't one child who was not traumatized by sexual abuse in one form or another. I have been to numerous reserves in BC and the stories are frighteningly similar at all of them.
Yes here in Canada those statistics are very much the same.
On our reserve theres a place where all the young folk hang out and we talking bout kids as young as 8 and up... they sniff , drink have consensual sex and now we have Young girls as young as 11 having kids and contracting the HIV virus. The sad thing is the town by which this place is, is predominately Mormon and the folks of that town have complained for years about the situation with our native youth BUT then they were presented with a proposal to have a youth treatment center built in that town and guess what ?? ALL the mormons that complained about the situation petitioned for the treatment center NOT to be built in "thier" town BUT it isnt thier town they just leasing it from the Natives. So a group of Natives got together and petitioned that all Natives should boycott the business's in that town, but my thought was... WTH is that gonna do, its not gonna help our youth and we STILL to this day have a problem :(
I like what the poster of the original post said in the end of her post... We know that these problems exist BUT what are WE as the people doing about it?? We can no longer afford to wait for the "non-natives" to help in the cause; our children are suffering while we keep pointing fingers. We cannot complain if we are not goona do anything bout it... Our people tried but were shot down again, prolly because they didnt come up with it first and they want the Natives in that area to convert to thier religious ways, it aint gonna happen ecspecially when they keep shooting down our efforts to help ourselves... they complain so muh that we are dependent, but when we try to unshackle ourselves we are told to stay put. Thats why I say MORE natives need to get in to higher positions like government... Law etc.. until then i fear that our efforts will be with much struggle. These are just my views on the situation please do not take them as an offence to our people. We have tried and we will continue to try I know this, i just wish more of us would truly care and take action. Its like our people have backed down ( our tribe) and the fight is no longer and yet our youth are still suffering, we cant just give up we have to keep getting up. This sadens me and hurts very deeply, My children when i look at them i wonder how much better of they will be or will things remain pretty much the same...
AngelFeather is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook