Old 11-08-2004, 11:55 PM   #1
mortonkid
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
mortonkid is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Thumbs down Great Salt Water Veterans Pow Wow....it could have been great

This was a disappointing experience I'm sorry to say. I traveled from New York to dance at this pow wow....and I have danced in pow wows in Maryland, Virginia, South Carolina, and North Carolina for a number of years now and I have never been asked to pay a dancer's fee. I registered to dance over a month ago...and no where on the Great Salt Water website did they mention that there was a fee. The organizer waited until the day the pow wow began to let dancers know they had to pay to dance.....after traveling the distance. Which I feel was extremely inconsiderate. There were over 150 dancers registered to dance and by Sunday's grand entry there were only 34 dancers left. Some had just decided not to dress....when I asked them why....they said that they just weren't feeling the spirit at this pow wow....others just went home.

To make matters worse....this pow wow was seriously undermined by the fact that it was over-vendored. This created a very unhealthy spirit.....especially after the thoughtless way the vendors were treated by organizer. This energy did not go unnoticed by the public....it was felt by everyone.

However, in spite of the negativity outside the circle those of us in the circle danced and drummed with spirit. The energy inside the circle was great....I was asked by several people where we were going next....

Its a shame at how badly organized this pow wow was especially since it was connected to the veterans.....and there was such high hopes for its success.

Great Salt Water could have been great.....but wasn't.

Hummingbird
mortonkid is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook