Old 11-09-2004, 02:38 PM   #5
mortonkid
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
mortonkid is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Unhappy

This pow wow was advertised as one to honor the veterans. And you are right....veterans and dignitaries are to follow the native american honor guard at grand entry followed by the princesses and so forth.

We did have an arena director however, he was out front. Please allow me to suggest that going forward you should go to the arena director and let him know what's going on, that way you are not put in such an uncomfortable position. There is no reason why she should have dealt with that situation the way she did.

I agree with you, however what makes a pow wow a success is that all elements of the pow wow (dancers, drums and vendors) are treated with equal respect and consideration. These people come from great distances to dance, vend and perform and you can't have a successful pow wow without any one of those elements operating in good spirit. What may be a mere attraction to the public or to the organizers is a way of life for us.

The organizers seem to forget that many of us dance at the same pow wows all the time and have close relationships with the drums and the vendors. We are family, so what you do to one, you do to all. You don't treat people that way, and you certainly don't treat native people that way.

Try to make to Hawkeye this weekend.....its a pow wow that I believe you will really enjoy!
mortonkid is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook