Old 11-09-2004, 05:54 PM   #12
skaroreh
indigenousnc

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
skaroreh is on a distinguished road
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
You have to be extra careful when having a powwow on govt land. You may not be able to charge admission or raffle things off. You may not even be able to sell things... I'm not sure about that. Just something to think about.
That might not be a problem. It's also a possibility that if we have it on base, that the base will be able to pay the thousands and thousands of dollars it takes to pay the drums, the lodging for everyone, the MC, etc. etc.

The point is, we wanted to have a really good powwow that had something for everyone who came... whether they wanted to actually dance/sing/participate, or whether they were just there to take it all in and pay tribute to the Veterans.

If the base can help us acheive that goal next year and we're able to do it WITHOUT having to charge admission to cover the high expenses, I think that would be fantastic.

In any case... we'll see how it goes.

Hopefully everyone will remember that this was a first-time event and the Coastal Carolina Indian Center (the non-profit org that put this powwow together) is formally only a year old. When we put this event together, we did so without the luxury of having a large budget to work with from prior events.

I hope everyone will take time to visit the powwow website one more time this year to see the list of thank yous we posted today. There were some individuals who were so amazing throughout this powwow and I know for me, personally, really represented a source of strength to get through a long and busy weekend. Go here to see thank yous: www.greatsaltwater.com
skaroreh is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook