View Single Post
Old 07-09-2002, 11:16 PM   #7
Kiiwedinong
Head Singing Judge

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Kiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond reputeKiiwedinong has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I've been gone for awhile hitting those pow wow trails. Sorry for not replying. My bad.
Back to your question.........it depends I guess. I mean....Ojibway round dance style and the Cree style are two different hand drum styles.
Cree style; I'd put a lot of emphasis on the drumming. I mean, I've heard from other drummers that drumming to this kinda round dance is difficult. I would look for the precision in the beats and of course the sound of the snare. The snare is probably the most important part of the drumming. Its what makes the beat so distinct then a normal round dance song. I'd also look for style, I enjoy listening to BlackLodge when all the singers hit the rim of the handdrum when it comes to singing the words in their song. Style is important. I'd also consider the harmony, melody, rhythym and overall sound of the song. The leads are also very important. A sweet lead leads into a sweet song. Ummmm....thats it I guess.
Ojibway round dance style is easy to judge I think. Sure the drumming is easy, but you should pay close attention to the checkbeats and the skip beat leading into the other half of the song; these are important parts of the drumming. Once again style would be very important.....one good thing about this style of round dance is that all singers can share the checkbeats at the same time. This is difficult but easy to do once you do it often. Fast beats or slow beats dont matter to me. The song should sound sweet enough to record and dance too. Confidence in both categories is very important too.

Is that good???
Kiiwedinong is offline   Share with Facebook