View Single Post
Old 01-04-2005, 11:51 PM   #7
crazywolf
crazywolf

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
crazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond reputecrazywolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
eagle feathers and who has a right to posess them

Boozhoo niji,

This is a topic that has been discussed repeaatedly in my life. I am like 1/32 Ojibwe, my mother 1/16. She is a enrolled member of the White Earth band, has the enrollment number and receives monies and everyhing.

I... on the other hand, do not have a high enough blood quantum to be an enrolled member, however I do have a descenedent identification which USED to give me hunting, fishing and gathering privilages on the rez.

She can apply for these feathers as mentioned in the thread, I cannot, but I am her son. Now if she did apply for them, and she dies then what is to become of the feathers?

Also... I go out and pow wow. I want to learn what I can about Ojibwe tradition, language, Mide, or anything. I am willing to move back to Minnesota to do that. She likes it here in Florida, never does anything, although she does like to go to the pow wow that comes here local once a year, and watch me dance. She is very proud of me, and has told me that she would apply for the feathers on my behalf, but was not sure what would become of them after she passes away.

Also, what are you supposed to do if an elder offers to give you a feather, and I am not just talking about an elder as in older than you, I mean someone that is a legitimate spiritual advisor of the tribe.

This is a lot for me just to think about, it seems like I am treading a very thin line. I have had a lot of people call me a wannabe, and this makes me very angry. I do not show any of the stereotypical features of being Indian, other than Ilet my hair grow long and I braid it. My story is a long and complicated one, filled with learning, most of it hard, from mistakes. I was taught, in a white school, all of the negative things that Indians were, practically all of it untrue, and this is what my mistakes and ignorance were based from.

I have been taught, and not here in the Florida pow wow trail, but up on the rez, that being Indian is not on your skin but in your heart, and I have found acceptance up on White Earth. It keeps me going back, makes me think that Florida is not worth really living in. I have to fight for who I am down here, but am accepted inthe North.

So anyway, i am pretty confused. I stay here in Florida to take care of my ailing parents. My Mom has decided to not apply for the feathers, she does not think she would live past the waiting list, and I told her I was not entirely sure what I would do with them anyway. I fancy dance, so I use turkey feathers for my bustles anyway, i mean it would probably take 4 whole eagles to make a set of bustles, so how long would the list be for that?

Oh and I think I know why the list is as long as it is. This is a rumor, but it comes from a very reliable source, that is there is a woman at the eagle feather repository, that shreds feathers, on a daily basis. True or not, it still sounds like something the govt. would do.

Derek
crazywolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook