View Single Post
Old 05-26-2005, 03:34 PM   #33
Wakalapi
www.wakalapi.com

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Wakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond reputeWakalapi has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I like a balance, too. I run a kids' drum group. From that perspective, I like traditional powwows simply because they tend to be smaller with <10 drums, so we get a turn to sing more often. The down side is lack of variety and lots of fillers. Lack of variety means nothing but intertribals all day, unless they have an exhibition dance by category, and that's not always the case. Lots of fillers means musical chairs and other time-taker-uppers. Also, there is a certain crowd that frequents non-contest powwows in our area, they tend to get really preachy and want to "educate" the audience about everything, all the time. A dropped feather, for instance, needs a certain protocol to be dealt with but these folks turn it into an elongated, elaborate ceremony and spend 10 additional minutes preaching about how traditional we are if we do things their way.

From a photographer's perspective, and from the youth drum leader's perspective as well, I also like the big contest powwows. They attract the "big name" drums and champion dancers, these are who I want the kids to learn from the most. You also get to sing more of a variety of song styles, crow hops, sneakups, slides, etc., for the contest dancers. If a ceremony is necessary, it is done properly BUT quickly and gets out of the way fast (well, usually, unless it's one of the billion memorial giveaways certain tribes have). The down side is when there are 30-40+ other drums and we don't get to sing more than once or twice a day, if at all. Or when they have the contest drums do all the contest singing and relegate non-contest drums to intertribals.

Attitudes: I really don't like some of them. I've heard non-contestors say that contestors only dance for the wrong reasons (money) and contestors say non-contestors only go to tradish powwows because they are not good enough to dance or sing in contest. Maybe they are both right about certain people, maybe quite a few people, but still a blanket statement is not really the right thing to do. I think everybody that does that is...blah blah blah... lol j/k.