Thread: Cuttin' Up
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2005, 01:25 AM   #1
wa-zha-zhe
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
wa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond reputewa-zha-zhe has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Cuttin' Up

Over the recent years, the term "Contemporary" applied to describe Straight Dance has confused me. Growing up in the 60's and 70's, I never heard that term applied to this elegant style of dance. I have been priviledged enough to see the most elite Straight Dancers of my era. The list is endless. There have been many and the list continues to grow. "Old Style", yeah, there is the basic one-two. Every one can do that. To me, there is a "Spirit" that comes from the drum, that the singers bring out, that makes the "Elite" bring out their best moves. "Cutting Up" is what I always heard it called. Good songs sung by good singers makes the "Real Ones" cut-up. So it only stands to reason, when the "Real Ones" contest, they "cut-up". You know, showing their best moves. "Contemporary"...Whoever coined this term, had idle time on hand or something against "Good Straight Dancing". AH-HO!