View Single Post
Old 08-18-2005, 09:03 AM   #2
Wojapi4Me
Kili!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Wojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond reputeWojapi4Me has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Thumbs down

Is your Choctaw friend a member of the Mississippi Band of Choctaws because that tribe BITTERLY opposes this recognition. On a consistent level, they have opposed it - not on monetary issues - but on a heritage issue. They say the MOWAs are simply not Choctaw.

The MOWAs tried to go through the BIA recognition process - which is slow, but at the very least thorough. The BIA issued their decision in 1994 not to recognize the MOWAs.

At the time Holly Reckord, chief of the BIA's Branch of Acknowledgment and Research (1994) stated, "What we found was that the Indians that the MOWA claimed as their ancestors were not their ancestors. The people we found to be their ancestors were not Indians."

I read the BIA's final findings report, and it was, without a doubt, very scathing and matter of fact that these people are not Indians. The report stated that only one of the people listed on their rolls was an Indian, and he was enrolled with the Mississippi Choctaws.

The fact that the Mississippi Choctaw are so opposed to this group sends up a huge red flag to me. They sure didn't oppose the Jena Band of Choctaws which has been recently recognized.
Let the arguments begin.