UNCLE
I need $

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
UNCLE is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa-zha-zhe
Over the recent years, the term "Contemporary" applied to describe Straight Dance has confused me. Growing up in the 60's and 70's, I never heard that term applied to this elegant style of dance. I have been priviledged enough to see the most elite Straight Dancers of my era. The list is endless. There have been many and the list continues to grow. "Old Style", yeah, there is the basic one-two. Every one can do that. To me, there is a "Spirit" that comes from the drum, that the singers bring out, that makes the "Elite" bring out their best moves. "Cutting Up" is what I always heard it called. Good songs sung by good singers makes the "Real Ones" cut-up. So it only stands to reason, when the "Real Ones" contest, they "cut-up". You know, showing their best moves. "Contemporary"...Whoever coined this term, had idle time on hand or something against "Good Straight Dancing". AH-HO!

Contemporary: happening, existing, living, or coming into being during the same period of time. or marked by the characteristics of the present period. Modern, Current.(dictionary term)

Unfortunately, wa-zha-zhe, the younger dancers of today just cant seem to get that spirit that the "Real" dancers use to get.

If you watch some of the younger dancers today, IF you know what to look for....you'll notice some of those dancers dancing the same style to a cheap/scabby song, and turn right around and pretty much dance the SAME WAY to a "earth shakin" song. I know some of you can back me up on this one.

And for those of you that dont know what I'm talking about.....you need to learn more about this.

Of course, there are some younger dancers out there that do dance with heart, and feed off that good spirit that a earth shakin song can provide......and we applaud/lulu/clap/hoop for you.

Nothing irks me more than a dancer who is in straight dance regalia, dancing like a traditional dancer.