Thread: Cuttin' Up
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2005, 11:55 AM   #12
sltate
Senior Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
sltate has a reputation beyond repute
sltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond reputesltate has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
When I think of contemporary/original, I would have to agree with the above post that put my dad, Ron Harris, Earl Plumley, etc..because even though they could "cut up" they never turned around, spun in circles, kicked way high(lol), etc. They danced straight, their demeanor was one of elegance and when the spirit hit, they went low, they kept time, their feet never skipped..they hit everybeat.
Now in the Osage districts, you will see some of the flashier dancing, thus the name Ronnie Dee. He has always danced like he does now and that is the style he carries. I have yet to see him go flourescent, though.
I think that everybody dances their own style and now that we have competitions that can label a certain style, then you will get categorized as such. Just like jingle has the same labels. You have contemp(flashier, rhinestoned, flourescents,etc) then original(denise onestar,diane derosier, annamae Pushetonequa) You can pretty much see the difference just by the dress and the form of dancing( spinning, turning, going backwards). It is pretty much the same for every category.
I myself like the original, like my dad, earl,bobby pewo,terry tsotigh,etc. I like to watch the contemps, they are exciting to watch but I think as long as they are still dancing then they are carrying on our songs, etc. then that is the main thing.
sltate is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook