View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 11:57 AM   #16
TWDBear
Pow Wow Committee

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
TWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond reputeTWDBear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Sounds like you had fun there.
I've thought about going there but it depends a lot on how much vacation is used up by the Fall.

I agree that not using the liner makes set up easier. I've been seriously thinking about changing from tying my lower liner ties to the poles to attaching hooks and just running a rope around the base of the poles. I saw this trick at NPW and it does seem to speed set up a lot, especially with the hooks at the top ties as well as on the parfleche bags inside. No tying, just hooking in place and you don't notice the hooks since they're brass in color and blend in quite nicely.

Is your tipi made of a dark cloth or lighter cloth?

Mine is made of white sunforger and without the liner and in the summer sun, mine feels hotter, then again, my cloth is the heavier 13 oz. In the summer heat, i do raise up both the liner and cover with the same forked sticks so the breezes can blow through or catch some cooler air from the shady side of the tipi.

I have my tipi pitched in the backyard now, it's been up for the past week and i suspect will be up for the next week until the next stretch of sunny dry weather.
I lowered my tie points on the N/S poles by about 2 inches and on the E pole by 4 inches so the cover is either just barely touching the grass or is withing an inch of the ground. It does help in keeping the cold air (in the 20's) out and the warmer air in (been burning LP Gas). But with the cold, i've been using the liner and "ozan" to keep the heat in better. Plus my "ozan", i've sewn an extension along the front that can hang down some to keep more heat in or extend out straight to direct more rain onto the grass if needed.

I've had people say they can see shadows at night even with a liner but i've checked mine and all i could see was vague blobs from the top of the liner down, nothing specific.

Linda, when's the new release date of your book?

Tim n'Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipis
just got back from a week of camping at Disney World. You guys should try this next year???? It will be the 35 year for the Tipis Lodge Owners camping for Thanksgiving.

Set up my lodge with no liner! That created quite a stir. It rained like hell with some flooding Sunday nite and then came the winds and COOL temperatures. I had no problems at all with water, which just ran down the poles and back out or the freezing temperatures. Did get a bit of flack about how you could see "shadows" in my lodge. When it came to take down, what a breeze with no liner to dry or fold.

And a liner does not keep a tipi cooler in the summer. It keeps it warmer.

With the cover ALL the way to the ground, it was like there was a liner.

Oh....remember....the liner is the Ozan and there is no name for the interior water or rain cover nor did they ever really have one, but.we will call it a...RAin Cover.

Linda Holley

I love my tipi's. I'll never be homeless with them.

History is written by the winners.

TWDBear is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook