View Single Post
Old 12-15-2005, 09:37 AM   #18
tipis
Teen Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
tipis is a jewel in the rough
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
The liner is the Ozan and any cover inside or out to keep water off is just a rain fly or rain cover.

When you set your tipi up, was the cover all the way to the ground when you had the lining pulled up or out of the way? The Indians rarely set up a lodge with a liner durring the summer or most the time. But if your cover is off the ground by even an inch or two, you have to use a liner to get the same effect. It does become a double cover. The liner, as we use it, is a new way of setting up a "tent" since the Luabins started the fitted liner in the 1950s'.

I have been setting up my lodge now without the liner for the past two years and find I do not need it untill it gets real cold and that is even in heavy rain. The water goes down the poles without any problems and back out again. THe liner only keeps it from dripping on my stuff when I have one up. But if I have nothing to make the water drip, no problem. And without the rope liners or attatchments to the poles by all the cloth, no drips again.
Quote:
Without the liner you have nothing better than a white man's wall tent. I don't have all the experience in the world but this is the way I have found it to be.
My fire draws the same and I am just as comfortable. Just like it was done 100 years ago.

And yes, I am the same person who had the "fabulous" saddle....thank you for the complements....love the priase.
And, we are still in editing on the book...should go to press by February 2006.
tipis is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook