View Single Post
Old 01-30-2006, 09:57 PM   #75
Blackbear
Honey Connoissuer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Blackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Blackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond reputeBlackbear has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by unegatowodi
This post may sound stupid since I’m one of the wannabe‘s, but…….
On a practical note, anyone have any ideas on weeding out the worst of fakers and rip-off artists. I know I can tell who the real Indians are, and I know the real Indians know the difference, and I know the general public will NEVER know the difference. So….

I personally try to support native communities with how I spend my money. I went to Cherokee,NC in 2002 and shopped the Qualla Arts and Crafts Mutual, the rest of the entire town was hokey tourist traps. When I went to Pine Ridge in 2004 we bought stuff at the Lakota Trade Center, and I have bought some stuff online from some of their artists. (Pine Ridge was a hard place to vacation, we only ran across 2 restaurants, and were the hell was the Wal-Mart. lol). Fixing this problem is going to take a lot more than one white guy like me who tries to be responsible.

I suspect some of the problem is happening because the huge interest here in the east. I very seldom feel out of place at powwows because I am often the most Indian dancer there. (No, really, I’m not kidding. lol) I never want to be part of the problem, but I REALLY like to dance!

Any ideas?
These guys started out even as far back as the sixties when the Hippies were exploring other cultures and religions to find their higher calling, purpose.. whatever. It's just that now with people wanting to be healthy and unstressed and finding no purpose in life, or wanting a new purpose... they will seek out anything that says they are peaceful. And some of these guys are very convinceing .. especially to those that don't know jack squat... some even believe in their own bull.

I like sharing my culture and stories and history of my people.. and especially crafts.. but I hate that guys like this make me think twice or more all the time about who i talk to less they take it and turn it into something for themselves for profit or whatever. And I used to like to learn of other's religions, beliefs, ways.. but now I'm afraid to ask others about them but I'm more afraid to offend by not knowing and saying something wrong.