Thread: Womens Drums
View Single Post
Old 02-06-2006, 02:03 PM   #14
ndngirl70
powwow bum

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
ndngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond repute
ndngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond reputendngirl70 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Plumes
I have heard some Woman groups that had a good sound but I would not dance to them ,I know that sounds bad but its just not the way I was raised i will sit behind as my mother did,sisters and friends do and do so with honor. But I do not fault those who try something new its just not something for me and if my heart does not feal rite then I dont enter the arena. Im not the only one I have seen plenty of people men and women sit out a song if there is a woman drum group, I have even seen other drums pack up and leave if they dont the older gentlemen were afraid of getting sick ,im sure there are those reading this will understand with out me explaining to much
I know exactly what you mean. What really gets me is that most of the women who sit on a drum (at least in my area) are twinkies who just started going to powwows because indians are cool. They think that they are correcting some injustice done to indian women. What they don't realize is that women not drumming is in no way a subserviant postion. The way I see it is that in native society, men have jobs and women have jobs. It's not my job to sit front row on a drum so I'm not going to do it! Of course, there are reasons behind the jobs that I don't need to get into here. I see it as just another case of someone jumping in with both feet before they have the neccessary information.
ndngirl70 is offline   Share with Facebook