Thread: chamber's farm
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2006, 08:34 AM   #3
hobbs49
Holy Indian Taco Batman!

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
hobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
hobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond reputehobbs49 has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipis
Did you complain or at least let the committe in on these problems? This dance has a checkered past and is at least better this year than it has been in the last 8 or so. But I do agree with you, it does need to improve.
As a hobbs myself, I generally bail on threads where hobbs come under attack. It's easier to survive here :-) and anyway, who am I to try to say what's right and wrong. The culture isn't mine, I'm just trying to borrow a piece of it while I exist here. I grew up in the midwest and have been spectating, dancing and singing (or trying to) since about 1968 when I was but a wee lad. Until adulthood, most of my activity was at hobbs powwows. Once I started living out west, I got a lot more opportunity to attend native dances in CA, CO, WY, MO, MI, and now NC (lots of powwows in NC!). I've never been to the dance in question, but I will say, that even as a hobbs, if the dance doesn't meet my expectations (native or hobbs powwow); if they aren't even trying to do things right; if they have no clue; well, even I know when to leave. Now, if I can easily tell who's on the committee, I might make an effort to tell them why I'm leaving. However, I'm not likely to go too far out of my way to do that because if they really cared, they would have probably done a better job in the planning in the first place.

I will add that there is, in my mind, a difference between doing things wrong and doing things differently. I will admit that it seems that at some dances on the east coast, or at least NC and VA, I've seen some things done quite differently than I've ever seen before. But for the most part, I chalk that up to the old "the farther away, the more they stray" philosophy, meaning that the east coast is pretty far from the plains and thus those things that I've seen or heard of being done out there have undergone some change by the time they reach here.

I will also add here that at the NC and VA powwows that I've been at for the past couple of years that I've been here, I've never, and that's never, seen any drugs nor alcohol use anywhere near the circle. Heck, I hardly see any cigarette smoking even! So either it's very well hidden or not a problem as it seems to be in other locations.

Sorry for the ramble, but my point was really meant to be that regardless if it's a native powwow or a hobbs powwow, it can be done wrong. If you're not comfortable with what is happening, then I would suggest leaving or as Tipis above suggests, working with the committee to fix it.
hobbs49 is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook