View Single Post
Old 04-19-2006, 03:05 PM   #16
sokoki_wolf
Beadworker

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
sokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond reputesokoki_wolf has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8Dancer49
Back in the 1970s this wannabe guy named Jamake Highwater claimed to be Cherokee and Blackfoot. He was one of the first new-agey guru types, and wrote some BS books about Native art. He also had a TV show called "The Primal Mind" (don't that sound just sooooo new-agey?!). I'd bet that's where this particular combo of Cherokee/Blackfoot got popularized.... ex-hippies thinking their down with this pseudo indian just claimed the same tribes as him, probably as a kind of hippy-trippy solidarity..... after all, the flower power movement also tried to co-opt the word n!##er for any one who thought they were downtrodden or oppressed, so there were a bunch of white trust fund babies saying they were the N-word..... they must've all switched to being Cherokee/Blackfoot after getting ahold of Highwater's garbage.
jamake highwater was exposed back in the late 70s and early 80s as a fraud...he was convincing tho,so much that he got several national awards for his books....turns out he was greek and posing as indian of course...nice to see someone remembers him these days...a many more have jumped into take his place...ive had many Black people come up to me and tell em that theyre indian and when i was what tribe they will generally say blackfoot...i think for alot its jst a tribal name they can remember same as cherokee etc....but does seem the "blackfeet' are becoming as popular as the cherokees...

TRUDELL FOR PRESIDENT

(and no,this isnt zeek)
sokoki_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook