View Single Post
Old 05-04-2006, 12:20 PM   #8
RedShield
Singer/ Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
RedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond reputeRedShield has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
My wife's uncle started sponsoring a chicken dance/round bustle special at Wellpinit pow wow as a way of trying to bring back these traditional styles. He also sponsors others around the area like at Riverfront Park and a few others I think. To me it is awesome to see the dance style that was nearly wiped out in favor of the more popular men's traditional style make it's way back.
Since I've moved back east, I have seen some sorry excuses for chicken dancing. I don't think they'd know what was going on if they actually saw a prarie chicken/round bustle grand entry... and the songs... There are all kinds of "new" duck and dives coming out here, the way I was taught from out west is there is only ONE duck and dive and it is sung 4 times through with a tail, with the strong beats only coming on the second half of the part of the push-up, but could be extended past that if the spirit was right.
What has been said here is very valid, there are a lot of people exploiting this dance style and whipping up the regalia to contest, using grass, fancy and mainstream traditional dance moves that don't match the style. (Thank god the only real chicken dancer I have seen over here was a Blackfeet from Montana!)
But, by the same token, when I was out west, the jingle dancers who had no clue bothered me too. But because they think they stand a better chance of placing, they'll whip up a jingle dress in a week or two and start competing a few weeks later using nothing but fancy dance moves, and then get judges who may not know the style correctly and PLACE!!!
I don't know... me personally, I have a hard time with jingle competitions in the first place, and my wife gets hot under the collar when she sees bad excuses for chicken dancing... it's a vicious cycle that contest money creates and perpetuates, I wish people would just be true to their own nations, and if they are interested in learning someone else's style... take the time to learn.
Just my 49 cents worth...

Paselo
RedShield is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook