View Single Post
Old 05-11-2006, 11:30 PM   #31
Steffan Redhawk
Northern Traditional

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Steffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Steffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond reputeSteffan Redhawk has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Can I get some help?

Quote:
Originally Posted by apacheheart
...Called my dad while reading thid thread,and he said the same thing....it's the Kiowas who originated Gourd Dance,and all the songs,at least the one's he's heard,were ALL done in Kiowa.....nuff said on my part.Keep smilin'1

I live in Michigan,

There is a HUGE lack of Kiowa blood in the area, most of the pow wows I attend are in indiana, ohio, michigan, sometimes I travel out, but not so much the past few years.

There is a gentlemen that MC's a few pow wows (Will post name if it's requested) who always states during the gourd dance that only VETERAN MEN can do this dance, and always tells the women who stand behind their man to sit down.

This man also says that teens, and young men can not do this dance, I know it's not true, my Grandfather used to have me gourd dance with him when I was younger, my father, not so much, but my GPA always had me out there with him, used to dance with alot of my old friends out there....

I've tried to goto this man in a good way (for several years) and try to talk to him, and it just turns into a shouting match, he's very bullheaded. I'm not a vet, and no, I'm not Kiowa (although my uncle is)..

As far as I know, this guy only MC's about 4 pow wows a year, he's a great MC, does his job well, he just doesn't know about some things, and I'm not sure who passed this information down to him, he does not share his sources...

How should I go about this problem? There are young men, who are being taught in this area, that they should NOT be gourddancing... I guess I'm just at a loss... any suggestions would be helpful.
MSN: [email protected]
Steffan Redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook