View Single Post
Old 05-19-2006, 10:38 AM   #90
Gledanh Zhinga
Blacksmith

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
I took a powwow trip west of the Missouri in 1957. At the Nebraska Winnebago powwow, they had a memorial for one of their own, Harold Rave (sp?) whom I believe had died in an auto accident the previous year. They announced that he won grass dance contests all over the North country. It was said that he dressed in a black "suit" with white fringe.

At Ft. Thompson, SD, powwow they had a tie dance-off between a grass dancer with the last name of Star and a Mesquakie named Dennis KeeŠnee (sp?). Dennis was a fancy feather dancer, but they lumped the two together. Dennis won, but he said later that he was amazed at all the moves that Star had.

In those days, the grass dancers were called sway dancers or ribbon dancers, sometimes. We did not get to North Dakota on that trip, but I'm sure we would've seen more grass dance activity had we been able to get up there.
Gledanh Zhinga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook