View Single Post
Old 06-13-2006, 08:37 AM   #36
TKMJ Productions
Powwow Sound 4 U

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
TKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond reputeTKMJ Productions has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotigh
That, and how folks pick up the stuff layed in front of them during an 'honouring'. ??? wha??

The 'honouring' is a mini-giveaway for the person being 'honoured'. Folks that come put their bills or items at your feet are honouring you by helping you GIVE away...not for you to TAKE. :P~~~~~

You are bound by honour to stay put and hostage to the stuff in front of you until it is all given away.

Yet I see folks reach down and pick up the money and stuff put in front of them.

::shakes head::

If you are being 'honoured' during a dance, they will come and place you...then, they will bring someone to stand by you to pick up the stuff at your feet to allow you to move afterwards. 'cause otherwise, you are stuck. you cannot move until the stuff before you is given away.

I see so many folks making the big long line of dancers and putting stuff in front of those being honoured, and then the one being honoured picking up the stuff in front of him!! lol

So...if that person has a special sometime, expect them to lay a blanket out and his family to put stuff there, and then he'll invite folks to come put stuff there, too, and in the end he'll just pick it all up and take it home.

WHA??

yeah.. silly

Our honouring is a mini-giveaway. the stuff put in front of the honouree is what they are giving away. you are just helping them give. the honour they get is from giving. I don't know where folks ever got the idea that taking was an honour. :P

Some folks that know better feel shy and help pick up, then give to the drum or host...but, that has led to confusion. Folks are watching.

Stuff in front of you is to give away. You cannot move until it is given away. If they did not bring someone to pick it up, you stand there and ask someone to call someone to pick it up or motion (without pointing...use your lower lip...hehe) for someone to come pick it up.

Let's break the self-beneficial "ritual" folks are using to benefit themselves. This is a custom turned upside-down.
I was taught almost the same as you. When something is placed at my feet during a dance, I was taught to only allow myself a small area to dance in about a 4 to 5 foot circle. My wife was taught to scrub when this happens. We do not pick up the gifts at the end of the dance. We wait untill the arena director comes in and picks up the gifts for us. It's the arena directors job to pick up the gifts or assign someone to help out. Most of the time when the AD needs help, he calls on the head veterian. If you end up at a place with an AD that doesn't know his job, you stand there untill the AD figures it out. (sometimes you gotta coach him a bit) You never touch the gifts untill they are placed in your hands. If no one comes to take care of the matter, you stay in place no matter how long it takes. If it holds up the powwow, so what! Things must be done in the right way.

The gifts I receive are given away to others in a respectful way out of the publics eye. The drum always gets a gift because it was their song that helped in the dance. The drum and dancer are connected in a special way because of the song. I will approach the drum first then others after I leave the circle in the proper way (the way I came in). The only way you will ever see me give away the items, is if you pay attention and know what is going on.

The entire thing must be done in a respectful and proper way or it has no meaning. By keeping the gifts, you disrespect all who have given to you and yourself.

I'm not out in the circle to show off. I'm out there to dance and pray. If my dance moves you to drop a buck at my feet, Thank You! Please understand your gift will be given to others who need it more then me. I'll get along just fine.
TKMJ Productions is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook