Thread: tail dances
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 06:47 PM   #27
osagesooner
Tiny Tot Dancer

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
osagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond reputeosagesooner has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Growing up around inlonshka, I heard alot of head committee men stand up and talk about this. From what I gathered all those years is that only the head tail dancer is allowed to raise his stick, and he may do it when he feels "the ground becomes holy" and a good feeling is present.

When another dancer, who is not a designated tail dancer, dances on a tail, we consider it a mistake that needs to be corrected and paid for. I've seen this done by people, who couldn't make it back to their seat in time and by people who did it on purpose and they called it "stepping on the tail", whereas they had a brief small giveaway immediatley following the tail, to pay for the mistake.

As far as powwows go, I've seen it done, where a dancer raises his stick in hope of the drum to acknowledge him as a tail dancer, and I've seen where the drum did sing the tail and times when the singers didn't.

My perspective is that things like this shouldn't be taken lightly, there are rules and protocal involved. We wouldn't allow our ceremonial dances to be like a powwow, so why would we allow a powwow to be like a ceremonial dance? There are differences, we don't mix them, and it seems like only the ones brought up around the dances or powwows know the difference. Or at least they take the time to.

I only hope that people do more research and more respectful when it comes to these ways.
osagesooner is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook