Thread: tail dances
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 12:59 PM   #30
Gledanh Zhinga
Blacksmith

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Gledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond reputeGledanh Zhinga has a reputation beyond repute
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Quote:
Originally Posted by park
Interesting, CEM. I lived up in Wisconsin for a while and never heard about that. I talked to lots of old folks about straight dance and Southern Plains ways, but most had never heard it, much less seen it.

I've heard and know some of those songs, but never thought they related to a particular society. Do you know when and where they picked it up?

A buddy and I danced at the 1957 Nebraska Winnebago Powwow, and they sang many word songs that were like hethushka songs. We recorded some of them on one of those old, heavy reel-to-reel players. Not too much later, Clyde Warrior, Ponca, told me that he took an auto trip with a Hochunk guy, and they sang songs to each other. They started teasing each other, because many of the songs were the same tune, but different words. They were accusing each others tribe of "stealing songs". Clyde said they had a great time.
Gledanh Zhinga is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook