View Single Post
Old 08-02-2006, 06:47 AM   #24
DarbyWeaver
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
DarbyWeaver is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Correct me if I am mistaken, but I do not recall hearing of anyone of the MOWA's having to pay anything at all.

My father and my sister registered on the rolls. My father told me he had registered my sister and myself as his children.

No one paid any money at all as far as I know.

Other tribes charge money?

News to me.

Again, many folks from our area are impoversished, charging a fee to claim your bloodlines would not be taken very well, at least I would think not.

I currently live out of state and have done well on my own.

I am only recently thinking of returning home and am saddened by the state of things.

Federal Recognition or not, our people have some serious problems with pollution, education/literacy, drugs, jobs, housing, medical/dental and a number of other issues that any other community faces.

We need firm and steadfast leadership to help our people through these trying times.

Hell, I'd settle for a non-profit organization that can help foster projects like habitat for humanity.

Seeing people living in trailors that do not even have air or heat and would not be fit for living by most people is simply atrocious.

Seeing people living out of the back of an old semi tractor trailor off the roadside is atrocious.

Seeing that these are my people, I feel ashamed of living well, while my kinfolk are on the verge of such impovershment.

This is the United States. Yet, many live in the backwoods with roads that are washed out and a vehicle can hardly manuever properly. Some still use horses to get around.

Are you people hearing this?

You may say not indian, but our folks don't have to be wearing buckskins to make the point any more vivid.

We are the remains of those who have been left behind for generations.

It is not pretty but it is true.

Take a vacation sometime and come to drive our roads, visit our cemetaries, and meet our people.

We are what we are and as my wife says "Paper holds anything".

So hey, compare our simple lifestyle down to the food we eat and the manner in which we still hunt, maybe you'll widen your point of view a bit.

We are a very close-knit set of communities and have been for generations, it is our heritage.
DarbyWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook