Old 08-02-2006, 02:50 PM   #27
DarbyWeaver
Pow Wow Visitor

User InfoThanks / Tagging InfoGifts / Achievements / AwardsvBActivity Stats
DarbyWeaver is an unknown quantity at this point
Credits: 0.00
Savings: 0.00
Actually,

As far as Federal Recognition, I think the biggest thing it would do for the MOWA is allow us to compete at the federal level and allow us an opportunity to become educated - something we truly long for.

You see at present, where we live does not have many jobs and if you have a recognized last name that comes from where we live you may be automatically black-balled for many jobs. Goes with the blood, right.

So that leaves us to our traditional jobs of either being woodsmen or of taking jobs as contractors ot of state. I almost forgot many are truckers and a variety of other trades. Naturally being woodsmen and living in lower Alabama makes us a natural selection for disaster response and cleanup crews (mostly manual laborers).

Given that most of our people suffer from a lack of formal education this situation is mostly staying the same or maybe improving some small amount. However, it is not enough and is not fast enough.

I guess Fed. Rec. would allow our people some access to medical and education advantages we currently long for.

====================================

Alot of our elders still grow their own crops and mostly live off of the land as it is. However, they are dying away.

The middle generations (45-65) are trying hard to fight for Fed. Rec. and some new blood joins in as they become educated to our issues as a people.

The fact is simple: We are alone. We have always been alone.

We have lived as we are and shall continue to do so.

Myself, I'm making my exit from "Civilization" to return home to help in this fight. We are the underdogs here. We have little chance of winning this Fed. Rec. but that does not mean that we will lose as a people or that we will give up what we are.

I went home and what I saw is just simply wrong. Funny, I never thought of it much as I grew up there. Playing and hunting in the woods.

Now it is different. Every house I visit has someone sick or dying of cancer or some other ailment. I feel enraged at this.

Our people do not typically have the education to protect themselves. They do not know how to gather together to fight back against things that cause them harm.

Like children most are - in some strange sense.

There lives are simple and so are their ways.

Some of our people in McIntosh are not able to live on thier own property since the Chemical companies have turned it into a toxic waste dump with poisonous slime.

The City Water in that runs from Citronelle to Mount Vernon has been reported to contain a poisonous chemical.

Our children are suffering. I drove around and at least 3 places I saw signs along the road cautioning of deaf children playing.

Our people are dying at the rate of about 1 per month now of cancer or diabetes. None die of natural causes anymore.

Some got older but were eat up with some form of cancer.

Our story is bleak.

So you people who only know what you read go ahead and talk and write about what it is you think you know.

You'll be just as wrong as the ones who killing our people.

We are dying but we will continue to fight.

It is a travesty to not be able to visit even a single household that has not known some type of ailment caused by these poisons.

Irony:

1. The land was "stolen" from us via the white man.

2. We worked that land like slaves for those men.

3. Those men sold some of the land to the chemical companies.

4. Those chemical companies would not hire indian labor - since we worked for the white man who sold the land to the chemical companies.

5. Those chemical companies poisoned and polluted our air, land, and water.

6. We are now sick and dying and even more so in the last 20 years.

7. The white man who stole most of our land was a legislator and now his son is a legislator.

8. We have been systematically raped, robbed, pillaged, and ultimately murdered.

Who speaks for us?

We're just a bunch of half-breed barbarians who live in the woods and on dirt roads.

Who speaks for us?
DarbyWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote Share with Facebook